Home Owners Renovators Insurance >>

Home Owner Renovators Insurance

Policy Covers

Renovators Home and Contents is a job specific policy whereby the homeowner or builder can insure the renovation and existing home plus contents in the one policy.

Renovators Home and Contents is a joint product designed to insure your home, renovation and contents when using a registered builder to renovate/extend your home.

(Existing) home – when renovations/extensions are over eg. $20,000 – $50,000 the home and contents insurer will suspend your home and contents policy because the home has become a building site, a dangerous & prone to theft site & until the project is completed it is outside the scope of the Home and Contents policy.

What’s covered in the Policy:

BONUS Cover:

  • $20,000 tools
  • Worker to worker
  • Subbies
  • Adjoining property
  • Low excess
  • All types of constructions Covered – Contents, Renovations/Extensions, existing home
  • Vandalism
  • Storm
  • Public Liability $5,$10, $20 million
  • Water Damage
  • Theft
  • Renovations and Extensions
  • Fire
  • Flood


Renovators Home & Contents is in 3 sections.

1. Construction & Public Liability
2. (Existing) home
3. Contents

This cover is conditional on the renovation/extension and existing home being insured. As the site is a building site, we have been able to secure an attractive contents cover.

By being a joint policy it cannot be separated, sections 1 & 2 are mandatory with Section 3. As the homeowner you have the option of purchasing the policy and informing the builder that he does not need to include your job as part of his contract works insurance policy. Both you and the builder can be listed as the insured, or you can pay the builder to arrange the policy.

Hot Tip

Check with your Home & Contents policy to see whether they will continue to insure your existing home (not being renovated) your contents and full public liability cover?Or ring the insurer and ask“Am I covered for –

  • Storm damage
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • And Public Liability, if someone comes onto my site and injurers themselves”

Then get it in writing!And remember… There is no excuse for not doing your homework because the last thing you want is for a claim to happen and to be denied because you ‘thought’ you were covered!

BuildSafe Insurance Brokers provide specialised insurance for builders, owner builders, renovators, tradesmen and building industry professionals…


Got a Question about Renovators Home and Contents Insurance? We’ve got the Answer!

The product – Renovators Home & Contents Insurance is designed to meet the needs of homeowners who engage registered builders to complete renovation works and where the existing home insurance (building, contents and public liability) are suspended during the renovations period. In these instances homeowners do not have insurance cover – most homeowners are not covered during these periods but may not be aware of the suspended insurances.
Your home has now become a building site, your home Insurance will cover you for small jobs but not necessarily!! Check with your insurer to see what coverage they will provide.
The policy is effective whilst a registered builder is completing a renovation/addition or modification project to an existing home. It is divided into 3 sections

1. Renovators Home & Contents insurance covers loss or damage to the existing home & Renovation during the Construction period.

2. The policy also provides protection from legal liability from third parties for personal injury or property damage

3. The policy also provides an option to include home contents

Either the builder or the homeowner.
No. it is a joint policy that covers the renovation – the new work that is being undertaken by a registered builder & the existing home – the structure that is existing prior to the renovation. You do have the option of including contents cover.
No. Building sites are dangerous work places & prone to accidents & theft, once renovation work commences – you are on your own! Your investment is at major risk, you need Renovators Home & Contents to protect your family from not only theft but fire, storm and malicious damage, plus any public liability claim from an uninvited ‘guest’.
Yes, if you are supplying & Storing, e.g. Tiles, taps etc., this will be part of the policy cover.
Just whose responsibility is it, to arrange insurance cover for pre-existing buildings and their contents, during House Renovation and Extension Building works? This is a question regularly posed by both builders and property owners alike and the answer is really quite simple; It is the responsibility of the property owner to effect and maintain insurance on their own property.



Who is responsible?

Quick Read

Pre-existing Property

Click Me!


Get a quick quote

Quick Quote

Get Started Today

Click Me!

3 Vital

To ask a Builder

Find out more

Read this blog!

Click Me!

Got a Question?

Have any Home Owner questions ASK US and we will answer, no strings attached!

Ask Us!

Latest News

Keep up to date with the latest news in the industry!