Selling your home in NSW

Owner Builder Warranty Insurance is a must for purchasers as it gives them comfort when buying an owner built home that there are warranties in place to protect them in the event of an unforeseen circumstance.

If the Owner Builder dies, disappears or becomes insolvent, however defects, incomplete works or second-hand materials noted in the Defects Inspection report are exempt.

Owner Builder who want to get the best price for their home can now provide Owner Builder Warranty Insurance to the purchaser for their benefit.

Our Owner Builder Warranty Insurance policy covers the purchaser for Structural Defects, which comprise defective or faulty workmanship, defective materials which can affect the Structural integrity of the building.

The purchaser now has the same comfort level that a homeowner has when receiving Builders Warranty from a Registered Builder.

Home Owners using a builder to build their home have Warranty Insurance, so should Owner Builders. To get the best price for your home, Owner Builder Warranty Insurance is now available for your purchaser’s benefit.

Owner Builder Warranty Insurance is a must for purchasers as it gives them comfort when buying an owner built home that there are warranties in place to protect them in the event of an unforeseen circumstance.

Warranty means any of the following warranties: –

  • a) That the work performed is in a proper and workmanlike manner and is in accordance with the plans and specifications set out in the contract;
  • b) That all materials supplied will be good and suitable for the purpose for which they are used and that, unless otherwise stated in the contract, those materials will be new;
  • c) That the work done is in accordance with, and complies with your states building regulations;
  • d) That if the work consists of the construction of a dwelling, the making of alterations or additions to a dwelling or the repairing, renovation of a dwelling, the work will result to the extent of the work conducted, in a dwelling that is reasonably fit for occupation as a dwelling; and
  • e) That the work and any materials used in doing the work will be reasonably fit for the specified purpose or result.

Policy covers:

Purchaser Owner Builder Work
Covered for up to $200k Period of cover is 6 years from the Occupation Certificate
Defects report required Coverage for structural defects

What we require:

Cost of residential Owner Builder works Current Defects Report, prepared by an approved Building Inspector
Department of Fair Trading Certificate Occupancy Certificate or Final Notice of Completion
Drivers Licence Complete and sign Owner Builder Warranty Application form


Step 1: Obtain a defects inspection report from an approved inspector.

Step 2: Fully complete:

  • Application form
  • Development Approval and DFT Permit
  • Occupation Certificate
  • Drivers Licence
  • Defect Inspection Report from an approved inspector with P.I insurance

Step 3: Email your documents for approval.


Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to our FAQs section, we have answered your questions here.
If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Get in touch with us.

It is for the benefit of the subsequent purchaser of your property, not you as the Owner Builder. The policy covers the subsequent owner in the event that you as the Owner Builder dies, disappears or is insolvent, and the building works are incomplete or defective.
It is an inspection report by a prescribed inspector who will list any defects, incomplete work and second hand building materials. These are not claimable by the purchaser the report forms part of the documents required before the insurance can be issued.
The sale of your home is important! Our aim is to provide a fast, responsive and professional service that makes obtaining the insurance easy.

  • Owner builders require a defects inspection report prior to the sale of their home on which owner builder works have taken place.
  • The report must be from a qualified expert such as a building consultant/inspector, building surveyor, architect or engineer who must have a valid professional indemnity policy in place at the time of signing the report and who authorises the report being made available to third parties.
  • All defects, incomplete works, inaccessible areas and second hand materials should be described covering the dwelling/s as well as outbuilding, pergolas, landscaping, pool etc.
The report must not be more than 6 months before the person enters into the contract to sell.
Virtually any work that required a building permit. This includes any new home, renovation/alteration/extension, improvements and repairs to the home, garages, carport, sheds, pools.
Homeowners are supplying their purchasers Warranty and if you do NOT, purchasers will want a major discount off your price to compensate for the absence of Owner Builder Warranty Insurance.
Maximise your sale price, provide your purchaser Owner Builder Warranty Insurance.
The maximum amount that can be claimed under a Home Warranty Insurance policy is the value of the contract work with a limit of $200,000.
Practical completion is either the date of the Occupancy Permit or 18 months after the issue of the owner builder permit.

If you were a homeowner who a registered builder had built your home, they are required to supply you Home Warranty Insurance.
Therefore as an Owner Builder selling your home, the Purchaser expects Warranty Insurance.
No, it is for the benefit of the purchaser.


Latest Blog Articles

Have any question or need any Consultation?